Smart Campus needs your Great Intelligence:
2019 UM Mobile APP Development Competition
A deposit of MOP500 per UM team would be charged and refunded in full after finishing the competition.
Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Information and Communication Technology Office, University of Macau “Macao Base for Primary & Secondary STEM Education Centre for Science and Engineering Promotion”
In general, after the proposal review stage, the top teams (in general 4 to 5 teams for each problem statement) would be announced as evaluated by the judging committee.
Problem statement (choose one from the following three): To be announced by 11 September 2019
|August 2019||Registration of APP Competition starts|
|11 September 2019|
5:00pm – 6:00pm
|Competition Briefing and Introducing the Open Data API portal|
· Competition Briefing
· Introducing how to operate the platform and data definition
|Venue: N1-1004, Lecture Room, Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship|
Briefing registration to be announced
Please bring your notebooks and other necessary materials
|30 September 2019||Deadline of registration|
|11 October 2019||Deadline of the proposal submission||The proposal has to be written in Chinese or English within10 A4 pages (included pictures, charts and appendices)|
|30 October 2019 or before||Announcement of teams entering the finals (12-15 teams)|
|20 November 2019 5:00pm||Teams entering the finals need to submit the executable source code, related documentation (such as README) and the required files (such as PowerPoint)||Details of the submission of documents will be announced later|
|27 November 2019|
Each team would be given 10 minutes for presentation, and 10 minutes for question and answer
|Venue: 1st Floor of UM Guest House (N1), Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship|
|27 November 2019|
|Award dinner||Venue: Ground floor of UM Guest House (N1)|
- While the target is students from various departments of the University of Macau, cross-disciplinary teams are encouraged to develop the creativity of students. The registration form can be downloaded from the 2019 UM Mobile APP Development Competition Website. Upon receiving a confirmation email, a deposit of MOP500 each team would be charged and then refunded in full after finishing the competition.
- In order to promote the UM Smart Campus initiative and STEM education, the competition welcomes all high schools in Macao to participate.
- Each team must be within the specified time:
- Provide the source code and data of the prototype (if applicable) for review by the organizer；
- Provide the references of other open source libraries used (if applicable) in the README file.
- Each team must display the results on the stage on the final presentation day (if necessary, you can bring your own laptop), each team’s reporting time is limited to 10 minutes. The content should include a description of the solution and a demonstration of the executable program. After the presentation, each team would have a Q&A session and they must respond to questions raised by the judges. The maximum time is 10 minutes.
- Each team must use data provided by the UM Open Data Application Programming Interface (API) Platform. Team which violates this rule will not be eligible to win a prize.
- The work submitted must be original and must not have been submitted Plagiarism is not acceptable. Teams with plagiarized work or not fulfilling the requirement stated in 1.2 will be disqualified.
The competition will give awards of first prize, outstanding prize and innovative prize according to the number of participating teams. In general, the proportion of winning teams to participating teams will not be greater than one to five.
Teams entering the finals will receive a proposal award
Cash MOP 2,000, Certificate
In the final stage, there will be first prize(s), distinguished secondary school prize(s) and outstanding prize(s) according to the number of participating teams. Under normal circumstances, each question statement group will have at least one first prize awardee and one distinguished secondary school prize awardee.
Cash MOP 8,000, Certificate and trophy
Distinguished Secondary School Prize
Cash MOP 3,000, Certificate and trophy
Cash MOP 2,000, Certificate and trophy
If the requirements are met, the relevant departments of the UM may contact the winning teams to follow up the APP development.
The winning teams will automatically become a candidate for the incubation programme of the Centre for Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and will have the opportunity to receive a startup funding of up to MOP500,000. For details, please refer to: https://ci.ici.um.edu.mo/application-for-incubation/
The winning team may be recommended and supported by the University of Macau to participate in relevant regional and national competitions.
- Proposal round
|Basic element of the works||40%||Feature (Is it a solution for the real demand, technical content, functional design is user-friendly)||15%|
|Data completeness (function description, whether the description is clear or not, application demo, etc.)||15%|
|Innovative and differences of the works||40%||User interface and interaction design||20%|
|Topic and others||20%|
|Prospect assessment||20%||Significance: Degree of users demand||10%|
|Value: Market popularity||10%|
- Final round
|Completeness||15%||The judges will judge based on the final completion of the solution and product|
|Creativity||20%||Novelty of the product|
Differences with similar works
|Practicality||15%||Whether the product is practical and usable in real life|
|Presentation||15%||Clear and organized presentation|
|Impact||15%||The ability to solve problems and has a positive impact|
|Technical complexity||10%||Complexity of the works based on the presentation, source code and data (if any)|
|Design||10%||Product appearance, user interface and experience|
- The organizer would not be responsible for any infringement of intellectual property rights of the participating teams;
- All the materials submitted to the organizer would not be returned;
- During the competition, all submitted materials would only be used in the “Smart Campus needs your Great Intelligence: 2019 UM Mobile APP Development Competition”;
- The organizer will arrange photography and video recording on the day of the event and related events. The participants agree to display or publicize their portraits and sound for the recording and promotion of the competition;
- After the event, the organizer has the right to display or exhibit the works, source code or data submitted by the participating teams;
- In case of any dispute, the decision of the organizer shall be final.